Friday, January 13, 2017

That Night











That Night






     “It’s been some time since I saw your face.” The old man in the shadows said.
     “Why are you so old?” She said with wide, watery eyes.
     “Time is a funny thing, sis.” The man said.
     “Time? Am I dreaming? I saw you… I can’t remember when I saw you last, Emiliano.” She said.
     “It’s been years, Belladonna.” He said.
     “No. You can’t be my Emmy. What is our last name?” Belladonna asked.
     “Sartorio, Bell. You had 3 dogs. You love the color purple. Your favorite song is ‘Hey There Delilah’ and you started to love that song ‘This Town’ by, fuck what was his name?,... Niall Horan. You said they sounded similar. You practiced every day on the guitar so you can play those songs. We used to sing all night some nights. Remember?” He said.
     “We got good at those songs. Why are we here? I don’t like this place. It scares me.” Bell said.
     “I didn’t mean to do it, Bell.” He said with his head down.
     “Do what?” Bell asked.
     “Remember, the dogs were loud and dad told you to take those mutts upstairs and not to come back down for the rest of the night?” Emiliano asked.
     “Yes. I came up here and cried myself to sleep.” She said.
     “He drank and fell asleep soon after that. He left cigarette butts in the ashtray and I threw it in the trash before I went to sleep. I didn’t want the house smelling like cigarettes when mom got home in the morning. We hated hearing them fight, remember?” He asked.
     “Emmy, what happened that night?” Bell asked.
     “The cigarette butts caught the trash can on fire while we were sleeping.” Emmy said.
     “Where are my dogs?” She asked.
     “Calm down, Bell. You’re making me freeze.”  He said.
     “Where are my dogs!?” She demanded.
     “The fire was too large by the time Dad came and got me. We tried going through the living room, but it was already full of flames.” He said.
     “Am I dead?” She said looking at her hands.
     “Dad threw his golf clubs through the window and tossed me outside. He wrapped himself with a wet jacket and went back in the living room.” He said.
     “Dad isn’t here. I can’t remember the last time I saw him. Or anybody. Why are you telling me this? The house looks fine.” She said still looking at her hands.
     “I ran next door and told them to call 911 and I tried to climb the back end of the house, so I can reach your window; but it was too high and my hands were too cold to get a good grip.” He said.
     “The dogs are just outside. Stop scaring me.” She said as she started to shake.
     “The dogs didn’t even bark. They said the smoke got to you guys before the fire did. They said you went peacefully in your sleep. Dad had no choice but to come outside. There was nothing we could do.” He said.
     She looks away from her hands and watches the walls crumble away. Black soot covering every part of her room. Bed springs are the only thing left of her bed. TV melted on the floor. Her guitar half gone on it’s stand.
     “Why tell me now? Why am I even here?” She asked.
     “I don’t know. But I came here every year after it burnt down to tell you these things so you can move on. You never did. We kept the house the way it was after the fire. Dad never wanted to rebuild.” He said.
     “Why are you here now? It feels like you been here for a long time now.” She said.
     “I’m here to help you move on. I couldn’t move on with the guilt.” He said.
     “I forgive you. I guess my puppies moved on without me. How do I?” She asked.
     “I’m not sure. But when you do, I will follow.” He said.
     “Why will you follow?” She asked.
     “Because I’m dead, too.”


The End
    

1 comment: