Wednesday, March 29, 2017

The Hut








The Hut



     “The Cattails always did soothe me. I normally sit in this old hut next to the marsh and listen to the cattails rub against each other. They sound like rubbing two bones together. I just got done cleaning the flesh from my latest hunt. I need to make a fire to dry the rest of the meat out. I don’t like to waste anything from my kills, I use it all.”
     “Why are you telling me this? Can you please let me go? I promise I won’t tell anyone. I will just go on my way” The young woman said.
     “I can’t do that. You saw too much already.”
     “You knocked me out before I could see anything, Mister. I just came down here to look for my dog.”
     “How the fuck did you find me? I have been in this part of the marsh for 5 years and haven’t seen a soul here. Those alligator hunters don’t even come this way to set bait.”
     “I was fishing for alligator gar, and my dog jumped out of the boat and ran down your path…”
     “This dog?” He says and he holds the dog’s severed head in his hands. The young woman squeezes her eyes tight while tears run down her face. “I told you. I need to dry the rest of the meat so it doesn’t go to waste. Alligator gar?! Shit, girl, alligator gar are rare around this side of the marsh. I barely catch them, and I know this place in and out. I may not be from around here originally, but its home for now.”
     “That has to be a mistake. An alligator got him. It’s okay. Just let me leave, please.” She says with snot running down her lips.
     “You’re not hungry? You have been out for days. I think you should eat some of this soup I made with your little buddy.”
     “Fuck, fuck, fuck… I can’t be here.” She said to herself.
     “But you are here. And I’m pretty sure you’re going to be here for a while. No one knows these parts.”
     “My mom knows I came back this way and she will be looking for me!”
     “Sure she will… You know how I got this place? I noticed it while hiding out from the cops. I watched the smoke coming from this hut for hours. I followed the smoke and hit some old man over the head with a shovel that was close by. Funny thing, he didn’t beg for his life like most do. Maybe the old man was ready to go. But anyways, Home sweet home, am I right?” The man said with a smile on his face.
     He walks over to the chair the girl is tied to and wraps a rope around her neck and throws it over one of the rafters above her head.
     “Please, just let me go.” She said.
     “It’s too late for that, girly. You and that dog of yours came by at just the right time. I was out here starving to death. What are you, a buck 10, 20 maybe? You’ll last for a while and I can use your scraps for bait. I’ll be back on track in no time.”
     He took the rope, wrapped it around a bar and started to pull slowly. The girl fully suspended in the air, she started to kick her feet.
     “Here, let me make this more comfortable.” He cuts the ropes that bound her legs and arms, she starts to swing freely. “The more you move, the more time it will take, baby.”
     He pauses as someone knocks very loudly on the door. After he ties the rope to a post, he walks to the door.
     “Have you seen a young woman and a dog around here? My daughter gets adventurous and likes to camp by herself with her dog, but tends to get lost.” A woman asks.
     “How did you find my hut?”
     “I used to play back here when I was little. There used to be an old man that I called grandpa that lived here. Are you related to him?”
     “No.”
     “Well, have you seen a young woman around here? I only ask because I noticed foot prints coming from her boat down the marsh. It looks like she got it stuck on the shore.”
     “Oh, her. Yea, she’s inside just hanging out. Come on in. She’s been waiting for you.”
    “Thank you, Mr.…?”
     “Mr. Black.” The man said with a big smile.
     “You’re too kind, Mr. Black.” She says as she walks inside.

The End
    

No comments:

Post a Comment