Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Cold World




Cold World


   
 I been flipped over in this ditch for a few hours now. Not one car stopped. I don't think they will until mine starts to smoke or catches fire. There's black ice on the road and of course I had to hit it hard at a high rate of speed. Morning traffic doesn't stop for shit. I hit the black ice on my way to a meeting about my new novel, "Dead Men Lie." I hope I have a chance to talk about this. Otherwise this will be all I have for my last words.
     I am pinned against this door and steering wheel. My hands are very cold and I am not wearing a sweater. My car tends to heat up pretty fast, so I don’t wear heavy coats or anything when I go to work. The windshield broke and my driver side window is gone. My legs are broke. The engine is on them right now. I don't feel anything at the moment. I just hope help comes soon. I cannot reach my phone. It fell between the seat and went into another world, it seems.
*
     It's been a few days. I lost this pen and just got it back. My left hand is frost bitten. All but my thumb is gone on my left hand. I found my wife's nail filer under the passenger side seat. It won't do any good though. Unless I want to cut off my two legs and my left fucking arm with it. Days and nights go by with nothing. I scream and I scream with no result. They're going too fast to hear anything. And unless something happens on the highway above me, no one will hear shit. I continue to search the car for something. I been eating snow but my core temperature is getting low. Rats ran off with my fingers too fast to snag one up. I am going to die down here. And I am okay with that right now. I am so tired, and my brain is shutting down. All I want to do is sleep. I think I'll close my eyes for a bit.
*
     It's the fifth day. My left hand is almost gone. Nothing but black up to my wrist. I'll be okay with that. I just want out of here. I know my legs are gone, I have no feeling in them. I hear the traffic above me. It never goes away. People going to their families and loved ones, while I'm here, the cold taking my limbs. I can't scream any longer. My throat is gone. Can't eat any more snow, I'm too cold on the inside. Every breath, I'm closer to death.  Every thought is one less blast of energy I don't have. I might die tonight. I sort of welcome it. I am beyond tired. Too hungry to think right. I would welcome it. I lie here, waiting for death to take my body. What is beyond my body? A cold coffin of this cars body? Do I go off and float around in some made up Heaven? I'm not sure. But I am ready for a change. Please find me, please let me go.
*
     It has been snowing all night and day today. Finding my car is beyond slim now. I am under more than a foot of snow. I'll be a mummy in the spring time some cable worker will find. I wish the horn worked. It must have been dislodged during the wreck so I couldn't use it. No food, and just snow to eat. This is the last time I try to write. I am just going to shut my eye and go to sleep now.
*
     I woke to the sounds of sirens. Men and women yelling, "We have something over here!" It was all that I hoped to hear. My head heavy and thoughts blurry, I opened my eyes. Black taking my arm to my elbow, I try to look beyond that. I look up and see a bright light.
The End
                                                       


No comments:

Post a Comment